The Riders announced the signing of veteran QB Kevin Glenn. The 17 year vet, who has a history with head coach Chris Jones, is making his 3rd stop in Regina. I don’t mind the signing if he comes with a low price tag. I’ve never considered Glenn a starting QB but he is a great insurance policy in the player/coach role.
Meantime in Ottawa a great football career comes to an end as Henry Burris walks retires. Burris ends his career on top after leading the Ottawa Redblacks to a Grey Cup title last season. The 41-year-old guided the Redblacks to a dramatic 39-33 overtime win over the favoured Calgary Stampeders in the CFL championship game. If you remember he suffered a knee injury in the warm-up – but still threw for 461 yards and three TDs while rushing for two more en route to being named the game’s MVP. One game I will always remember is the 2004 West Final in BC when Smilin Hank played out of his mind in a losing effort. Of course that was the game Paul McCallum missed the 18 yard field goal.
Online sportsbooks are always offering random Super Bowl ‘prop bets,’ which let you bet on all the nonsense that surrounds the game. One site has already got their lines up, and here are 10 highlights . . .
1. The odds that LADY GAGA has a wardrobe malfunction that, quote, “must expose an intimate part of the body” . . . 15-to-1. That’s actually written into the description: “Must expose intimate part.” (???)
2. There are odds on her hair color . . . ranging from the most likely ‘Blonde / Yellow’ at 1-to-5, to the least likely ‘Purple’ at 25-to-1.
3. There’s been talk that she wants to do something on the stadium ROOF. The odds of that happening are just 12-to-5, or about 29%.
4. The odds that Gaga says the word “Trump” at any time during the Super Bowl halftime show . . . 9-to-5, or about 35%. That seems like a bit of a trap bet. She’s always compared to Madonna . . . but I don’t see this happening.
5. Since the Atlanta Falcons are playing, the odds that any player does a “Dirty Bird” touchdown celebration . . . 10-to-13, or about 57%. There’s a decent chance it’s done by a member of the evil Patriots, and that WOULD count.
6. Over-under on the times ‘DeflateGate’ will be said during the broadcast: 2.5. There’s no way it’s under, right? I would set the over-under at 25.
7. Over-under on the times ‘Dynasty’ will be said during the broadcast: 3.5
8. Over-under on how many commercials Peyton Manning will appear in during the broadcast: 1.5. That also seems low, Nationwide and Papa John’s seem like absolute locks.
9. Over-under on the number of times Tom Brady’s wife Gisele Bundchen is shown during the broadcast: 1.5
10. Odds that Joe Buck or Troy Aikman mention that Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th Round of the NFL Draft during the broadcast . . . 1-to-2, or about 66%.
(By the way, one sportsbook says no one wanted to bet on the Atlanta Falcons to win the Super Bowl back in September. The only team that got FEWER bets was the Tennessee Titans, so that means more people bet on the BROWNS than the Falcons. Although, those were probably small ‘lottery ticket’ bets to take advantage of the Browns’ long odds.)